The DRiP Investing Resource Center

Your Location For Dividend Reinvesting Information

Message Boards

U.S. Money and Tax Matters

Moderator is mgk

Date: 5/7/2017 4:07:14 PM
Author: Wayneman Country Flag
Subject: 4886/4894 - Re: US dividend paying stocks question
<= Previous    Post Response    Post New    Next =>


Wrong board.

But to answer your question:

You will pay the tax either way. (Only in an RRSP can you get exemptions.)

The purpose of a tax free account is to get dividends tax free. The US does not recognize this so they will withhold taxes. Defeats the purpose.

Financial advisers counsel investors to avoid holding dividend-paying foreign stocks in a TFSA due to the non-resident withholding tax levied. This tax, which is collected before dividends are paid to non-residents, is not recoverable, effectively reducing the return rate. The standard dividend withholding tax rate for U.S. stocks is 30 per cent, but if you file a U.S. Internal Revenue Service Form W-8BEN with your broker, the rate is lowered to 15 per cent.
<= Previous    Post Response    Post New    Next =>
Author Profile
  Number of Messages Past Six Months: 2
  Location: eastern Canada
  Fav. Companies: DRiPS: BNS, TRP,
  Inv. Style: Aggressive. I hold Stocks, DRIPs, RRIF, TFSA, REITs, options, and margin accounts with TD WebBroker, RBC DI, and Virtual Brokers.
  Website 2 : Canadian stock quotes
Your Unread Messages (Number in parenthesis is unread messages)
   DRiPs for U.S. Investors (21989)      DRiPs for Canadian Investors (39321)      Beginners Corner (19591)      Canadian Money and Tax Matters (9305)   
   Stock Talk (19954)      Overlooked Stocks (3217)      MoneyPaper Specials (2623)      Share Exchange (35323)   
   Brokerage, T.A., & Bank Accounts (3424)      Bugs and Recommendations (3175)   

This website is maintained by George L Smyth