Message Boards

DRiPs for Canadian Investors

Moderator is Robert D. Gibb

Date: 1/2/2009 8:23:34 AM
Author: drppingsoprano Country Flag
Subject: 18842/39321 - Beginners Question

<= Previous    Post Response    Post New    Next =>

rabbity on 1/1/2009 9:33:24 PM

A lot of sites are telling me how to acquire the first share without going through a broker. How do I acquire following shares without going through a broker?

Rascal on 1/1/2009 10:41:04 PM

Do some reading on this site. Look at the articles.

drppingsoprano on 1/2/2009 7:23:34 AM

The first thing you should do is fill out your profile (click on the "update my profile" link below on the left). Once we know what country you're in, we can better answer your question. You should also post questions like this on the beginner's board :o).

OperaBob on 1/2/2009 8:40:35 AM

If other sites are telling you this they learned it here. Hope they credited us:

http://www.dripinvesting.org/Articles/CanadianDRiPper/2003/07.htm

[Website Address]

OB

TorBram on 2/2/2010 10:22:22 AM

Where can I purchase 1 share of First National Financial Income Fund
FN.UN to start my drip.

Thanks,

Wayneman on 2/2/2010 11:11:25 AM

Welcome to the world of DRIPs.

Where can I purchase 1 share of First National Financial Income Fund
FN.UN to start my drip.

Nowhere.
While they have a DRIP for their investors, they do not have a SPP so you will not find anyone with a single to sell. Besides you don't really want one. A single share would be of little use to you.
Pick a company that has both a DRIP and a SPP (share purchase plan).

drppingsoprano on 2/2/2010 11:50:27 AM

You can find a list of Canadian companies with DRPs+SPPs here:
http://www.dripprimer.ca/canadiandriplist

Once you pick a company you would like, head over to the share exchange board and post a request. You should include an email address so prospective sellers can contact you, and it can help if you fill out your profile, as some prefer to deal with those in their ares.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask on the beginner's board.

TorBram on 2/2/2010 9:08:59 PM

Thank you very much for the info!

Helped alot!

youngdividend on 1/4/2012 5:11:52 PM

has anyone answered this question because i would like to know as well. zebian_o@hotmail.com is my email

OperaBob on 1/4/2012 6:14:19 PM

Go to the Share Exchange board.

OB

rwhyte12 on 7/12/2014 7:12:25 PM

You buy a share off someone. Then it goes through registration from the transfer agent. If you don't know anybody personally, you can go to a different part of this site called exchange and acquire one.

OperaBob on 7/12/2014 10:14:42 PM

Make sure you read both sets of Guidelines on the Exchange Board.

OB

Faith1234 on 10/5/2016 8:11:20 AM

Hey OperaBob I would love to buy a share from you, can you please get back to me with what shares you may have? my email is faith.atkins94@gmail.com

OperaBob on 10/17/2016 1:21:42 PM

Hi Faith,

Thanks for asking. Don't have any singles at the moment but if you ask on the share exchange board there are several with long histories who can help you.

OB

tendim on 1/14/2017 7:43:06 PM

> A lot of sites are telling me how to acquire the first
> share without going through a broker. How do I acquire
> following shares without going through a broker?

What you need is a "starter share," preferrably one with a company that has SPP. The SPP will provide you with facilities to purchase additional shares after you have your starter share. Alternatively, if the company you wish to invest in doesnot have an SPP, then you would have to find someone who has the requisite number of shares for sale, which you would like to purchase.

Generally:

1. Determine which company you would like to acquire a share for
2. Visit the Share Exchange board on this forum
3. Check if anyone is selling a "starter share" for the company you would like to acquire for, or post a new message indicating what you are looking for
4. When someone replies (or if you find someone), do a reference check on the board
5. Arrange the transaction

hth,
-10d

homesteaders on 1/14/2017 8:42:33 PM

tendim..the post you responded to was first posted on Jan.1,2009.
When checking posts make sure you are referring to the most recent. You can do that by "clicking' the "end' button at the top of the forum.

OperaBob on 1/14/2017 9:53:23 PM

Been there. Done that!

OB

123nicolas on 1/15/2017 7:50:11 AM

Otherwise, one must admit that the response was quite excellent, to the point!

<= Previous    Post Response    Post New    Next =>

Author Profile
  Number of Messages Past Six Months: 0
  Inv. Style: I'm supposed to have a style? BTW, soprano refers to my voice, not my mob ties :o)
  Website 1 : groups.google.ca/group/toronto-drp-club Place for Toronto DRPpers to meet

Your Unread Messages (Number in parenthesis is unread messages)
   DRiPs for U.S. Investors (21989)      Beginners Corner (19591)      U.S. Money and Tax Matters (4894)      Canadian Money and Tax Matters (9305)   
   Stock Talk (19954)      Overlooked Stocks (3217)      MoneyPaper Specials (2623)      Share Exchange (35323)   
   Brokerage, T.A., & Bank Accounts (3424)      Bugs and Recommendations (3175)   

This website is maintained by George L Smyth