Author: nic1 Country Flag
Subject: 16441/21977 - Chuckie Picks Brystol-Myers Squibb

<= Previous    Post Response    Post New    Next =>

OperaBob on 1/2/2009 8:36:09 AM

[Website Address]

OB

nic1 on 1/2/2009 9:08:07 AM

Chuckie omits the essentials.

He fails to mention that in the last quarter, the long term debt has gotten bigger. He insists on more cash from the sale of part of the business. Not that it is a bad thing but you really want to see cash going up from regular business.

Also, with all do respects with what the company thinks it can do to clean up internal process, I wouldn't base my appreciation on it. Companies are sometimes too positive.

I'm not saying that the company is a bad one but I think that this review shows why you always should be careful of "advisors". I’d have a look at the complete balance sheet before making a decision.

For the record, I don't own any BMY but might be tempted.

onarock on 1/2/2009 10:04:03 AM

nic1, i just want to say how much i appreciate reading these types of posts from u, and i was curious as to what type of companies u deem solid.............curious, and still trying to pick some for my rrsp and tfsa.......and my american money act..........i am not being lazy, i just have so much energy and thinking power, and if i could get some companies to start off with from everybody on these boards, then i can focus on investigating these companies and save some of my energy.......

thanx

k

onarock on 1/2/2009 10:15:30 AM

nic1, when i click on your website 2 http://www.http.com//jasonzweig.com/, i don't think it is taking me to the correct site............

k

drppingsoprano on 1/2/2009 10:24:40 AM

BMY deducts 4% from reinvested dividends.

nic1 on 1/2/2009 10:30:43 AM

Thank you for the nice reply,

I got frustrated with advisers a while ago when I started learning how to read a balance sheet. What advisers say is usually true but not the whole story. They omit important things like where the money came from. They also don't analyse both sides of the medal. OB's link is a good example. Companies will also be optimistic about their forecasts. Have you ever seen the opposite? (Because of bad management, we'll lose a lot of money)

I'll admit that reading balance sheets can take a long time and some practice (And it can get boring). That's why I only have a look at new companies when I get a reason to (OB's post)

Advisors remain important because they can set the context of certain industry and competitors. This is something that's hard to research and analyse when you don't do it full time. There is also so many US DRIPs available that it's impossible to check them all out. It is in this context that I'll appreciate advisor comments.

I added Jason Zweig's website as I loved his comments of Benjamin Graham's Intelligent Investor. The book is a great introduction to investments with modern examples. Zweig's thought of the day give a lot to think about.

Cheers

I've fixed the links.

dfish on 1/2/2009 10:55:39 AM

Company Profile:
Company Name: BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB COMPANY
Industry: Pharmaceuticals
Company Address: 345 Park Ave
New York, NY 10154
United States
Company Web Site: http://www.bms.com
Plan Material: View Plan Material
Request Plan Material by Mail

General Plan Information:
Allow non-U.S. Enrollment: YES
U.S. Geographic Restriction: N/A
Enrollment:
Electronic Purchases: YES
Minimum Initial Purchase: $250 The initial purchase amount is waived if the periodic cash purchases is selected.
Maximum Initial Purchase: $10,000 Monthly
Discount on Initial Purchases: 0%
Initial Purchase Trading Fee: $0.06/share
Initial Electronic Purchase Service Fee: $15.00
Initial Check Purchase Service Fee: $15.00, maximum = $25.00
Additional Purchases:
Minimum Periodic Electronic Purchase: $50
Maximum Periodic Electronic Purchase: $10,000
Discount on Periodic Electronic Purchase: 0%
Periodic Electronic Purchase Trading Fee: $0.06/share
Periodic Electronic Purchase Service Fee: $2.00
Periodic Check Purchase Service Fee: 5%, maximum = $25.00
Dividend:
Dividend Reinvestment Trading Fee: $0.06/share
Dividend Reinvestment Service Fee: 5%, maximum = $3.00
Discount on Dividend Reinvestment: 0%
Dividend Reinvestment Option(s): Full, Partial or None
Direct Deposit of Dividends: YES
Sales:
Sales Transaction Service Fee: $15.00
Sales Transaction Trading Fee: $0.12/share

BMY's OCP check fee is among the highest on the planet.

OperaBob on 1/2/2009 12:44:16 PM

Chuckie's been at this so long I doubt he writes checks under $2,000 per OCP. ;-)

OB

<= Previous    Post Response    Post New    Next =>

Author Profile
  Number of Messages Past Six Months: 0
  Fav. Companies: EDV, GAZ Metro, SWS, UUU(non-drips) plus my drips
  Inv. Style: Little by little, build my portfolio...
  Website 1 : www.xkcd.com
  Website 2 : Divestor.com

Your Unread Messages (Number in parenthesis is unread messages)
   DRiPs for Canadian Investors (39263)      Beginners Corner (19577)      U.S. Money and Tax Matters (4894)      Canadian Money and Tax Matters (9305)   
   Stock Talk (19950)      Overlooked Stocks (3217)      MoneyPaper Specials (2623)      Share Exchange (35240)   
   Brokerage, T.A., & Bank Accounts (3421)      Bugs and Recommendations (3169)   

This website is maintained by George L Smyth