Your Location For Dividend Reinvesting Information

Message Boards

Brokerage, T.A., & Bank Accounts

Moderator is Dianne Dachyshyn

Date: 1/7/2009 6:06:17 PM
Author: dfish Country Flag
Subject: 14/3427 - Re: History of discount brokers

<= Previous    Post Response    Post New    Next =>

...and after a subsequent merger, TD Ameritrade was established. (I opened a Datek account, later acquired by Ameritrade.)

In the mid-80s, I opened a Quick & Reilly account (actually two, one a regular account and one an IRA). Q&R was later acquired by FleetBoston, which was gobbled up by Bank of America. I closed the regular account and now have just the Roth IRA (after conversion) with B of A, which charges variable commissions; I have enough in it to get the $7 commission rate.

FWIW, the best known U.S. discounters now are probably TD Ameritrade and E*Trade, with commissions in the $9-10 range. I think that Scottrade and TradeKing may be in the $5-7 range(?) and then there's Zecco at Zero commissions. Wells Fargo and Bank of America also offer zero commissions if you meet certain asset levels.

<= Previous    Post Response    Post New    Next =>

Author Profile
  Number of Messages Past Six Months: 0
  Fav. Companies: ABT, AFL, BDX, HRL, JNJ, PAYX, PX, FPL, WTR, RPM, ITW, NOK, PNR, PG, ECL, EMR, MDU, XOM
  Inv. Style: Long-term accumulation (primarily using DRIPs)
  Website 1 : www.directinvesting.com Complete DRIP Info
  Website 2 : my.yahoo.com Good Stock Info
  Website 3 : www.streetinsider.com Breaking news on Dividend changes, Mergers, Buybacks, etc.

Your Unread Messages (Number in parenthesis is unread messages)
   DRiPs for U.S. Investors (21991)      DRiPs for Canadian Investors (39350)      Beginners Corner (19592)      U.S. Money and Tax Matters (4894)   
   Canadian Money and Tax Matters (9310)      Stock Talk (19960)      Overlooked Stocks (3217)      MoneyPaper Specials (2623)   
   Share Exchange (35337)      Bugs and Recommendations (3175)   

This website is maintained by George L Smyth