Letting Dividends Do Their Work

Message Boards

Brokerage, T.A., & Bank Accounts

Moderator is Dianne Dachyshyn

Date: 1/7/2009 6:06:17 PM
Author: dfish Country Flag
Subject: 14/3435 - Re: History of discount brokers

<= Previous    Post Response    Post New    Next =>

...and after a subsequent merger, TD Ameritrade was established. (I opened a Datek account, later acquired by Ameritrade.)

In the mid-80s, I opened a Quick & Reilly account (actually two, one a regular account and one an IRA). Q&R was later acquired by FleetBoston, which was gobbled up by Bank of America. I closed the regular account and now have just the Roth IRA (after conversion) with B of A, which charges variable commissions; I have enough in it to get the $7 commission rate.

FWIW, the best known U.S. discounters now are probably TD Ameritrade and E*Trade, with commissions in the $9-10 range. I think that Scottrade and TradeKing may be in the $5-7 range(?) and then there's Zecco at Zero commissions. Wells Fargo and Bank of America also offer zero commissions if you meet certain asset levels.

<= Previous    Post Response    Post New    Next =>

Author Profile
  Number of Messages Past Six Months: 0
  Fav. Companies: ABT, AFL, BDX, HRL, JNJ, PAYX, PX, FPL, WTR, RPM, ITW, NOK, PNR, PG, ECL, EMR, MDU, XOM
  Inv. Style: Long-term accumulation (primarily using DRIPs)
  Website 1 : www.directinvesting.com Complete DRIP Info
  Website 2 : my.yahoo.com Good Stock Info
  Website 3 : www.streetinsider.com Breaking news on Dividend changes, Mergers, Buybacks, etc.

This website is maintained by George L Smyth