Your Location For Dividend Reinvesting Information

Message Boards

Stock Talk

Moderator is Kathy Courtney

Date: 1/2/2009 8:50:44 AM
Author: jdmoodie Country Flag
Subject: 15303/19950 - TFSA - TFTA, another hitch

<= Previous    Post Response    Post New    Next =>

Well, I have been chomping at the bit to get my TFTA going. This morning I was going through the application and read the part about "capital gains" being tax free. It then occured to me that profits from short sales are not considered capital gains with respect to taxation. So I asked.

ARRRRGGGGHHH!

No short sales in a TFSA. So, this is not a major issue except it means that I have to continue to hold two accounts if I want to continue to use short sales (I had considered it almost a must to be able to trade all the time). I think I recall asking this about RRSP accounts quite a while ago and got the same answer so perhaps I should have known.

At least I have been working on my long game lately.

Jeff.

<= Previous    Post Response    Post New    Next =>

Author Profile
  Number of Messages Past Six Months: 0
  Fav. Companies: DRiPs: BMO, FTS, REI.UN, PGF.UN, Daytrades: I've lost track
  Inv. Style: Day, swing, momentum, options, futures, trading currently.
  Website 1 : tradingmood@gmail.com it's my email
  Website 2 : http://the-stock-trading-mood.blogspot.com/ My blog, by request

Your Unread Messages (Number in parenthesis is unread messages)
   DRiPs for U.S. Investors (21977)      DRiPs for Canadian Investors (39263)      Beginners Corner (19577)      U.S. Money and Tax Matters (4894)   
   Canadian Money and Tax Matters (9305)      Overlooked Stocks (3217)      MoneyPaper Specials (2623)      Share Exchange (35240)   
   Brokerage, T.A., & Bank Accounts (3421)      Bugs and Recommendations (3169)   

This website is maintained by George L Smyth